I don’t know how many single parents read this blog, but I tend to blog what I know, so this week, we’re going to look at something I know a lot about, making a living freelancing as a single parent.
You can look online and find hundreds of articles about how to make a million freelance writing, but in reality, I think the outlook is bleaker than people say. From most of the many writers and bloggers I talk to (not just single parents) money is short or just about on target vs. overflowing. If you’re a single parent the odds are way harder for you to make it as a successful freelance online writer or blogger.
As a single parent you’ve got:
- Kids, dinner, chores, etc., but all on your own vs. split in some nice way.
- A limited availability of long hours.
- No partner’s health insurance plan.
- No partner’s help should something fall through.
- Limited ability to take on a PT job doing something else should you have a bad writing income month.
- No back up.
- Limited ability to attend press events you’re invited to and you can’t just pop off to interview a good source at any old time.
- Lots of stress.
- Did I mention LOTS of stress?