Today we’re offering up some parenting markets.
We’ve been listing magazine markets and other writing guidelines this week and many valid questions are being raised. For example, how do I know these markets accept freelancers, and also, how do I know the pay rate is what they say it is?
It’s simple, I did some research. Research that’s easy enough for every single freelance writer to do if he or she wishes to write for certain markets. I looked up many markets on the web and, also, backed them up with a copy of the Writer’s Market – the 2010 edition. If some of the markets were still a little fuzzy with the details, I emailed or called to verify. If the market accepts freelance pitches, they’re more than happy to email current guidelines.
If you query any of these parenting markets and learn my details aren’t correct, please let me know so I can make any necessary adjustments. However, as of January 2010, these markets appear to be accurate.
When researching markets online, always consider how long ago each market may have been posted. If you’re unsure of whether or not they’re current, go to the library and confirm by checking the current Writer’s Market or contact the editors for up to date guidelines. If you’re reading this two years from now, the parenting markets listed here will offer a starting point.
As always, familiarize yourself with several back issues before querying any market.
19 Parenting Markets
- BabyCorner.com - Parenting Web Magazine – Pays .02 – .04 per word. Online guidelines.
- Bay State Parent - . Pays $60 – $100. Hyperlocal market only. Query: [email protected] or [email protected] at least two published clips.
- Brain Child - Pays a “modest” fee. Please see online guidelines.
- Charlotte Parent – Pays $15 – $75. Freelance contributions welcome. Please see online guidelines.
- Chicago Parent – Pays $25 – $300. 60% freelance written. Query for current guidelines at [email protected]
- Children’s Advocate - Pays $225 – $450 for assigned articles. 60% freelance written. Contact for complete guidelines.
- Dabbling Mum – Pays up to $120.00
- Family - Pays $10 – $200. For Central NJ parents. 75% freelance written. Contact for full guidelines.
- Hudson Valley Parent – Pays $25 – $120. 75% freelance written. Please see online guidelines.
- Island Parent – Pays $35. 98% freelance written. For Vancouver parents, please see online guidelines.
- Kid’s Life Magazine – Pays $20 – $25. Query for guidelines at [email protected]
- Indy’s Child – Pays .10 – .12/word. Please see online guidelines.
- Mothering – Pays $200 – $500. Please see online guidelines. Accepts unsolicited submissions.
- Parent Guide - Pays $25 – $150. Please see online guidelines.
- Plum Magazine – Pregnancy publication for women over 35. Pays .75 – $1.00/word. 90% freelance written.
- San Diego Parent - Pays $22 – $90. Query for full guidelines. 100% freelance written.
- Sonoma Family Life – Pays .08.word. Please see online guidelines.
- Today’s Parent: Pregnancy & Birth – Pays up to $1/word. 100% freelance written. Please see online guidelines.
- Working Mother – The only guidelines I can find are from 2009, with no mention of pay. I’m still waiting to hear back from the editors, but you can try on your own using the online guidelines in the mean time.
As always, let us know if you successfully pitched any of these markets. If you have any tips for the FWJ community, please post them in the comments. If you like these markets, maybe you’ll also enjoy some of this week’s other offerings:
- 19 Grants for Writers and Other Creative Types
- 40 More Freelance Writing Markets Paying $100 or More
- 21 Poetry Markets
- 75 “Write for Us” Pages
- 16 Greeting Card Markets
- Plus don’t miss our regular Monday Writing Markets.
Image via stock xchnge