Over the years that I have been blogging, I’ve been approached several times by friends or relatives who want to learn to do what I do. They express their desire to make money online to either afford them the ability to leave their current job or to help supplement their existing income.
When it comes to making money from blogging, I personally believe anyone CAN, but very few DO.
Let me explain…
First and foremost, the critical ingredient to blogging success is having staying power. The ability to not allow defeat due to setbacks. A successful blogger must be willing to put their self out there and put in the hours upon hours of hard work that’s the proven foundation for successful blogs.
Recognize Possible Setbacks Before You Start:
- Time - Very simply put – successful blogging takes a LOT of time. If you don’t have the time or are not willing to invest the time.
- Giving Up – Many successful bloggers have designated 12 months the magic number for when they hit their stride and began to see a profit – not huge profits, just income from their efforts.
- Lack of Writing Skills – Blogging is all about writing. If you don’t like to write – that could be a really big problem.
- Take Readers for Granted – Blogging is about writing, but profit is about readers. Successful blogs have stated time and again they write for their readers and not for the money. Somehow it works and the money follows.
- Lack of Focus – Color me guilty in this regard. Early on, I was so enthused about blogging, I wound up with 13 blogs on a variety of topics I found enjoyed. That didn’t last long. Once I reduced those topics down to a few I could easy maintain – success followed.
Certainly there are any number of setbacks that can and do occur and this list is far from complete.
That said, what are some of the setbacks you’ve experienced or witnessed in and around the blogosphere and what are some of the qualities you’ve witnessed in the most successful bloggers you know?