May is guest blogging month at my blog Freelance Writing Jobs. I thought it would be a nice way for my "regulars" and some invited guests to showcase their writing. They always have such wonderful tips when they comment, I invited them on to the front page. While it was meant as a three year anniversary celebration, it became clear there were many benefits to having others guest blog. Moreover, the guest bloggers are experiencing some cool bennies as well.
Benefits of Having a Guest Blogger at Your Blog
- It frees you up for other things – Though I didn’t plan it that way, this couldn’t have come at a better time. A little over a week ago I found myself sick for a few days. The kind of sick where you can’t raise your head off your pillow. Having guest bloggers allowed me to be sick without worries about losing traffic.
- It offers your readers another perspective – Other bloggers have other ideas, many times these are things you’d never think of. They also might have a different point of view. Having a guest blogger will give your readers something else to think about and learn new angles and techniques.
- It gives you new ideas – Do you know how you might visit other blogs and get ideas after reading someone else’s posts? The same thing happens when someone else guests blogs for you.
- It allows you to turn your readers on to something new – Your readers will appreciate learning about a new blog or blogger.
- It’s good for traffic – Though my traffic is steadily rising, the last couple of weeks has it through the roof.
- You get good backlinks -Your guest blogger will no doubt link to his post on your blog – and his followers might too.
Benefits of Being a Guest Blogger
- It allows you another outlet for your writing – Another outlet means a whole other audience. It’s my experience that other bloggers’ communities are very respectful of their guest bloggers and are interested in what you have to say.
- It helps you get your name out there – If you’re trying to establish yourself as an authority you’ll want to put your name out there. Guest blogging is a great way to do this.
- It drives traffic to your blog – You’re sure to gain some new readers through your stint as a guest blogger. As long as your name and link are up there, others’ will be visiting for a long time to come.
- Your subscribers will go up – After reading your guest blog post others will want to subscribe to your blog.
- It gives you confidence – About a year ago I offered to guest post for Darren Rowse. This is very unlike me, I was very nervous. My traffic is no where near Darren’s, plus what would his readers think? My guest post (about blogging for others) was well received and it gave me the confidence to write for other blogs as well. It’s a good feeling knowing that others outside your community enjoy what you have to say.
Have you guest blogged or brought in a guest blogger? How well did it work out for you?