We are seeking a qualified Assistant Editor with strong journalism and writing skills and a broad knowledge of (and passion for) trail running. Applicants should also possess a thorough understanding of the outdoor community and marketplace. This position reports to Trail Runner’s Editor in Chief, and is tasked with writing and producing content for the website, social media, newsletters and print magazine. This candidate must have an intimate knowledge of trail running and has written about this topic.
This role can be remote
Who We’re Looking For:
A creative and consistent communicator with their finger on the pulse of trail running culture. You’re comfortable geeking out about the nuances of training methodology, nutrition and pay close attention to the latest happenings on the trail. You’re not afraid to nerd out on the latest gear innovations, or take a deep dive into the rich characters found in our sport. You’re highly collaborative and comfortable working with and supporting a wide variety of contributors while managing your own creative products. You have a strong and clear vision of how we can grow our audience and create a community that is engaging and welcoming for all.
- Developing print and online editorial content with direction of editorial staff
- Write and create social media content, manage accounts, and engage with audiences across platforms
- Pitching and writing content for print publication
- Sourcing gear for review in print and online
- Pitching and executing creative ways to engage Outside+ members
- Writing and posting daily website content, including sourcing photography
- Writing about and responding to the sport in new and thought-provoking ways.
- Covering trail-running news in a timely manner, via writing and assigning out stories to trusted freelancers
- Acquiring, editing and writing content for the weekly Inside Dirt and Trail Tips e-newsletters
- Uploading archive print content to website
- Representing Trail Runner at various events, including Outdoor Retailer
- Excellent knowledge of social media platforms and best practices.
- Strong knowledge of and passion for trail running, including races/racing, gear trends, key players, current events/issues, popular destinations, and training, injury and nutrition principles
- Ability to recruit and develop positive working relationships with writers, photographers, brands and athletes.
- Analytics and SEO experience is a plus.
- Ideal skills: writing, editing, WordPress or other CMS, social media platforms, social media management tools, Hubspot, Adobe Creative Suite.
- The ideal candidate should be an effective communicator, organized, able to meet deadlines, and comfortable handling multiple projects simultaneously.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or 2-4 years experience.
- There will be some travel opportunities not more than 10% for gear review, race coverage, trade shows
Entirely remote jobs that could be performed in Colorado: Employees can expect to be paid a non-exempt hour pay rate of $20.00 to $24.00 per hour. Additional compensation may include a bonus or commission . Additional benefits include health care, vision, dental, retirement, Flexible Time Away, sick leave, and more. This salary range is merely an estimate and may vary based on an applicant’s location, market data/ranges, an applicant’s skills and prior relevant experience, certain degrees and certifications, and other relevant factors
ADA: These are essential functions of the position and must be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual identity, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the results of a pre-employment reference check.
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.