Vox Media, LLC
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience’s daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
What we’re looking for:
The copywriter will support New York Magazine’s growing world-class subscription product on various workstreams. They will have a deep understanding of the magazine’s editorial tone and sensibility, and be able to translate that to strong consumer-facing copy across print, digital, OOH, email, social media, audio and all other platforms utilized to grow New York’s subscriber base.
This position requires a witty, smart and detail-oriented person who must have a passion for digital media, knowledge of New York Magazine and its individual verticals, and experience writing for audiences at all stages of the marketing funnel as well as all parts of marketing collateral (above the fold and below it too). The copywriter will report directly to the Director of Brand Strategy in Consumer Revenue and work closely with the brand design and consumer revenue teams.
What you’ll do:
- Work with the Director of Brand Strategy to understand and adhere to the complexities of the tones of voice for New York and its verticals (Intelligencer, Cut, Vulture, Curbed, Grub Street), as well as implement it for growth marketing needs
- Determine how to communicate important brand and CTA messaging within asset confines and character counts
- Write against a high volume of digital marketing collateral copy needs, including deliverables for email, subscriber newsletters, onsite notifications, landing pages, paid search, social assets, web platform copy, and more
- Understand what makes a good A/B test. Know how to execute tests and digest the learnings so you can turn around edits quickly
- Optimize landing page content/copy for SEO
- Keep track of a high volume of feedback in a highly matrixed, deadline-driven environment
- Work on collateral across the entire subscriber experience, including acquisition, engagement, retention and win back
- Grow the voice of a world-class subscription product from the ground up
- Contribute to brand guidelines used by the consumer revenue and brand teams
What you’ll bring:
- 3+ copywriting experience for a brand; working with a subscription product a plus
- Experience with short, marketing copy used in digital media (email, social media, onsite ads) with a focus on calls to action and consumer engagement
- A sense of humor paired with knowledge of current cultural moments, events and references across categories (food, tv, politics, style, etc)
- A passion for the mission of high-quality journalism and appreciation for the work that will support it
- Strong written and communication skills including the ability to communicate with co-workers of varying design or technical skills
- Attention to detail and ability to produce and edit clean copy
Bonus points for:
- Past experience with a subscription product
- Past media experience
- Specific passion for New York verticals
About this role:
This is a freelance position. You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.