Timbuktu Labs is the female-founded, media company behind the New York Times bestselling series “Good Night Stories For Rebel Girls.” Through a combination of thought-provoking content, stellar design, and business innovation, Timbuktu inspires a global community of progressive families spanning seventy countries. We are an innovative company with the mission of empowering girls around the world through inspiring and thought-provoking stories, delivered in unconventional ways.
Timbuktu is home to a diverse and passionate group of rebels who work together in Los Angeles, New York, Atlanta, Mérida (Mexico), London, and Milan.
About the Role
The Writer will own and create stories for the upcoming Rebel Girls blog and newsletter from end to end. This includes interviewing some of the highest-caliber women working in a spectrum of fields today, from founders and CEOs to the very best athletes, creators, scientists, activists, and more. It also includes telling bold, creative stories that will inspire readers. We’re all about rich, detailed writing with heart and craftsmanship. This isn’t about churning out listicles. Our entire orientation is around quality storytelling.
This person should have a thoughtful, accessible, and clear writing style. This person will have strong experience writing long-form content (2,000+ words) in the realms of entrepreneurship, thought leadership, social activism and scientific discovery. She should be very organized and meticulous, and skilled at writing snappy copy and headlines.
- Produce well-researched content for publication online
- Organize writing schedules to complete drafts of content or finished projects within deadlines
- Utilize industry best practices and familiarity with the organization’s mission to inspire ideas and content
- Follow an editorial calendar, collaborating with other members of the content production team to ensure timely delivery of materials
- Monitor and analyze the performance of key performance indicators (KPIs) to offer suggestions for improvement
- Use search engine optimization (SEO) strategies in writing to maximize the online visibility of a website in search results
Who You Are
You’re a Writer. When someone asks you what you do, this is your answer first and foremost. Sure, you may have strong editing skills, social media know-how and podcast experience, but above all else, you think of yourself as a writer.
You’re curious about people. You like asking them questions and learning what makes them tick. You regularly interview people as a part of your job: asking about themselves, how they think and work is inherently interesting to you.
You’re super organized. You’re a task management junkie who’s always looking for ways to become even more productive and effective.
Just the word ‘autonomy’ makes you happy. While the Writer role will report to the Managing Editor, we’re really looking for a self-starter who can handle projects from start to finish on their own and contribute fresh ideas to strengthen not just Rebel Girls but the whole team. Everyone here is in it together when it comes to building a company we’re excited to work at. You’d be a major player.
You’re a team player. You’re willing to pitch in when there’s a project that needs an extra set of hands. You have a growth mindset as well as never-ending patience and a collaborative, make-it-work attitude.
- Proven record of excellent writing demonstrated in a professional portfolio
- Impeccable grasp of the English language, including idioms and current trends in slang and expressions
- Ability to work independently with little or no daily supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills and willingness to communicate with colleagues and management
- Ability to work on multiple projects with different objectives simultaneously
- Good time management skills, including prioritizing, scheduling, and adapting as necessary
- Proficiency with computers, especially writing programs, such as Google Docs and Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.