YES! Media seeks a creative storyteller with strong strategic fundraising and marketing instincts to join the team as a contract Social Impact Copywriter.
It’s an exciting time to join YES! Media. Our vision for YES! is to create an organization that operates with respect, integrity, accountability, transparency, ingenuity, and excellence. For more than 27 years, YES! has inspired people by publishing stories about community-led solutions to society’s biggest systemic challenges. Today, the need for our work has never been greater, and this position will help us have an even greater impact in the world.
YES! aspires to nurture an internal culture that values and centers equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are intentionally seeking team members that share our commitment to building an equity-focused culture that values and respects differences of race, ethnicity, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, ability, socio-economic status, and other aspects of individual and social identity. All team members actively participate in dismantling white supremacy practices and in building an equity-based work culture in which all of our teammates can flourish.
In this role, you will work closely with the team that is responsible for fundraising and marketing communications at YES! Ideal candidates will have excellent written and verbal communication skills, be willing to take creative risks, manage projects and colleagues well, and pay attention to detail. We’re looking for a collaborative, strategic writer who is excited to create powerful communications and impactful storytelling to connect with the audiences for one of the nation’s longest-running solutions journalism publishers. Skills in strategic communications campaigns, video, digital campaigns are a plus.
The position includes research and persuasive writing across multiple media formats including emails, direct mail appeals, and calls to action. The ideal candidate is excited to use analytics, A/B testing, and craft winning messages for target audiences and outcomes. This position reports to the Development Director and will work closely with members of the Audience Engagement and Development teams and other YES! staff to ensure our strategic communication efforts are aligned with organizational needs, values, and the YES! brand.
Sound like something that would make you want to join our team? Fantastic — read on!
The ideal candidate is…
- Passionate about the YES! mission to inspire people to build a more equitable, sustainable, and compassionate world
- Demonstrated ability to build a genuine rapport with people with diverse identities and backgrounds
- Highly organized, results-driven, and adept at managing multiple projects and deadlines
- Participates in, creates, and sustains inclusive and engaging spaces for all people by demonstrating a commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, anti-racism, anti-misogyny, anti-transphobia, anti-homophobia, anti-ableism, and other forms of oppression
Required Skills and Experience
In addition to excitement for the YES! mission, qualified applicants should have:
- At least three years of relevant work experience and demonstrated success as a persuasive copywriter in communications, organizing, journalism, or a related field
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to work collaboratively on several simultaneous projects with firm deadlines, and the flexibility to adjust to shifting priorities
- A demonstrated ability to write clearly, powerfully, and precisely in numerous formats (e.g.. print, email, social, video) to move people to action
- Strong relationship management, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Experience with developing and implementing digital campaigns to grow audiences
- Strong, consistent attention to detail; and the ability to follow through on work assignments independently and accurately
- Strong understanding of polling, A/B testing and other methods to generate and track winning messaging
Desired Skills and Experience
- Lived and/or work experience relevant to racial, climate, economic, and/or gender justice movements
- Familiarity with solutions journalism and independent media
- Familiarity with Slack, Trello, Google Drive and/or similar office tools to work more efficiently
Ready to apply?
- Please complete the application form at yesmagazine.org/copy, including your cover letter, resume, and two writing samples that demonstrate your skill in persuasive writing that includes a call to action for a target audience (e.g. donate, join, subscribe) . No paper applications or phone calls, please. This position will be open until filled, though applicants are strongly encouraged to apply by Thursday, March 30, 2023.
Positive Futures Network/YES! Media is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to creating an equitable and inclusive workplace and encouraging people from underrepresented communities to apply. We encourage the following applicants: Black, Brown, Indigenous, and Asian people, people with disabilities, people of diverse sexual orientations and gender expressions, and other marginalized identities that are underrepresented in nonprofits and media organizations.
To apply for this job please visit www.yesmagazine.org.