About the Role
We are looking for a technical writer to join our global team. You will work with colleagues from across NewGlobe to produce reports and other pedagogically rich written content for a range of stakeholders and platforms – both our own and externally influential ones – based on the ongoing original research, studies, and trials that NewGlobe is conducting continuously.
Your work will showcase the pioneering work NewGlobe is undertaking in the development of pedagogy and education technology and help position us as thought leaders in its delivery.
Our ideal candidate will have experience of technical writing in the field of education. They will combine excellent writing with a proven ability to understand and interpret research and policy analysis, taking pride in attention to detail. A keen sense of ownership, speedy execution, and determination are a must.
What You Will Do
- Plan, develop and write a range of reports and other written content based on NewGlobe’s pioneering work in the development and implementation of cutting-edge pedagogy and education technology.
- Utilize adaptive research skills to understand technical writing and extract the most compelling facts.
- Coordinate and schedule documentation, collection, compilation, and review of information for a range of periodic reports (e.g. quarterly, annually, ad hoc, etc.).
- Provide technical writing and review of project materials in a quick, efficient manner (e.g. periodic reports, journal articles, etc.).
- Work closely with academics and research institutions to produce clear and concise technical product reporting.
- Help create content for the public website and blog on pedagogical approaches.
- Review, copy-edit, rewrite, layout, and reformat product documentation to make sure it can be easily understood. You will optimize for ease of use and searchability.
- Work with Communications colleagues to ensure a timely and relevant flow of content and analysis.
- Liaise with colleagues in a matrixed structure to ensure that you are aware of all relevant programming, research, studies, and trials being planned and undertaken.
- Create and maintain a timetable of content
- Build a network of external contacts across influential stakeholders, publications, and events.
- Collate information and assimilate data from previous research, producing updated and relevant content.
- Create and curate a store of technical reports and related content on which you and colleagues will be able to draw.
- Deliver research projects and policy analysis.
- Undertake ad hoc writing projects as necessary.
What You Should Have
- A Bachelor degree in writing, editing, copyediting, journalism, science communications, or similar field plus 5 years of technical editing/writing experience or an Advanced degree in the above with at least 3 years of technical editing/writing experience
- Familiarity with issues related to the education sector a plus
- Proven ability to learn quickly and understand complex topics
- Outstanding skills in persuasive writing and the ability to present technical ideas in a concise manner for a non-technical audience
- Experience in professional technical writing, proposal development, technical solutions, and overall reporting.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, with a keen eye for detail
- Experience in working with academics and researchers
- Proven ability to work independently, as well as part of a team
- The ability to develop effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience in research and policy analysis
- Proven ability to prioritize and organize own workload effectively and efficiently and meet deadlines.
- A background of working in matrixed organizations with internationally based and remote working colleagues, ideally from Africa.
- Ideally, the experience in technical writing and/or relevant background in education.
- A robust, confident, can-do attitude.
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A networking mastermind – You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas. You have an existing network from prior experience in the country, preferably in the regulatory, education, or business sectors.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, NewGlobe works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate –The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
- A malleable learner –You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.