Let’s take a fun, but kind of related diversion.
Last week we explored some celebrity bloggers who pen noteworthy blogs. It got me thinking about other famous creative types. For example, celebrity book authors. Now, I’m not talking about gratuitous, ghost written books. I’m talking about celebrity novelists, biographers and children’s book authors. They seem to be everywhere, don’t they?
What’s discussion worthy about celebrity book authors is if they’re really writers (as in good writers) who arrived by their publishing contract through the same methods and channels as us little people, or if they were offered deals based on their famous names and little else. Many book authors are outraged at how easy it is for celebrities to become published authors. I’m very interested in your thoughts.
48 Celebrity Book Authors
You might find some surprises on this list.
- Woody Allen : Author of multiple books including “Without Feathers, Getting Even”, and so many others.
- Pamela Anderson: Penned” Star: A Novel“. I can’t tell you if it’s good or bad but you can find copies selling for a penny at Amazon.
- Alan Arkin: Author of several titles including “Cassie Loves Beethoven”, “The Lemming Condition”, and quite a few other children’s stories.
- Jimmy Buffett: I can wholeheartedly recommend Jimmy Buffett’s books. He’s a very entertaining storyteller. He’s the author several novels and childrens books.
- Kim Catrall: Mostly writes sexual self help books. Author of “Being a Girl: Navigating the Ups and Downs of Teen Life” and “Kim Cattrall Sexual Intelligence“.
- Stephen Colbert : Author of “I Am America (And So Can You!)“
- Lauren Conrad : Author of “L.A. Candy” and “Sweet Little Lies: An L.A. Candy Novel.”
- Bill Cosby: Author of many humor, parenting and self help books.
- Katie Couric: Author of the children’s book, The Blue Ribbon Day
- Wes Craven: As you would imagine, Wes Craven is the author of several horror stories including Fountain Society and Wes Craven’s New Nightmare: A Novel.
- Billy Crystal: The author of a pair of wonderful children’s books written with his grandchildren in mind. The first time I read I Already Know I Love You I cried.
- Jamie Lee Curtis: Author of several children’s books.
- Dom Deluise: It will come as no surprise to many that Dom Deluise is a cookbook author, but did you know he wrote children’s stories too?
- Amy Grant: Author of Amy Grant’s Heart to Heart Bible Stories.
- Ethan Hawke: Novelist who authored of The Hottest State and Ash Wednesday.
- Felicity Huffman: Wrote the epic titled A Practical Handbook for the Boyfriend: For Every Guy Who Wants to Be One, For Every Girl Who Wants to Build One.
- Sarah Ferguson: Children’s author who wrote the “Budgie” series as well as other children’s books, and a book on weight loss.
- Fannie Flagg: Fannie Flagg is probably better known as an author than an actress at this point in her career. Author of Multiple novels including Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe.
- Carrie Fisher: Author of Postcards from the Edge and The Best Awful.
- Jerry Garcia: Author of the Children’s Story There Aint No Bugs on Me.
- Whoopi Goldberg: Author of the Sugar Plum Ballerinas Series and Whoopi’s Big Book of Manners.
- Mia Hamm: Author of “Go for the Gold: A Champion’s Guide to Winning at Soccer and Life.”
- Hugh Laurie: Author of “The Gun Seller.”
- Spike Lee: Author of “Please Baby Please” and “Please Puppy Please.”
- Jay Leno: Author of “If Roast Beef Could Fly” and several other titles.
- John Lithgow: Author of several children’s titles.
- Madonna: Author of several children’s titles and a very grownup adult title.
- Steve Martin: Author of “http://www.amazon.com/Pleasure-My-Company-Novella/dp/0786888016/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_2” and “Shop Girl.“
- Danica McKellar: The mathematics whiz wrote two books to help girls master math. “Math Doesn’t Suck” and “Kiss My Math“
- Bette Midler: Author of “The Saga of Baby Divine.“
- Julianne Moore: Author of two “Freckleface Strawberry” children’s books.
- Leonard Nimoy: Authored a biography, a photo book, a book of poems and other assorted titles.
- Deborah Norville: Author of “I Don’t Want to Sleep Tonight.”
- Dolly Parton: Author of two colorful children’s titles, “Coat of Many Colors” and “I Am a Rainbow.”
- Nicole Richie: Novelist who authored “The Truth About Diamonds.“
- Jerry Seinfeld: Author of “Halloween.”
- Jane Seymour: Author of “Splat! The Tale of a Colorful Cat, This one and That“
- William Shatner: Author of 22 science fiction novels.
- Ally Sheedy: Alexandra Elizabeth Sheedy wrote “She Was Nice to Mice” when she was twelve years old.
- Maria Shriver: Author of several children’s stories geared towards helping children cope with Alzheimer’s and other confusing situations.
- Will Smith: Author of “Just the Two of Us.”
- Jada Pinkett Smith: Author of “Girls Hold Up this World“
- Courtney Thorne- Smith: Author of “Outside In“.
- John Stewart: Author of “America (the Book): A Citizen’s Guide to Democracy Inaction.”
- Elizabeth Taylor: Author of “Nibbles & Me.” (I had no idea and the next entry is even more surprising. I must live in a cave or something.)
- Shirley Temple: They’re difficult to find but Shirley Temple is the author of several collections children’s bedtime stories.
- John Travolta: Author of “Propeller One Way Night Coach: A Story.”
- Henry Winkler: Henry Winkler’s “Hank Zipzer” series echoes Winkler’s own experiences with learning challenges.
Is there anyone you would like to add to this list?
Full disclosure: Some of these are affiliate links, most aren’t though.