Congratulations, you’ve completed your first novel! It’s finally time to shop for an agent or, if you’re not into the traditional publishing route, to self-publish. Whichever path you choose to introduce your master opus to the masses, you’re going to face a tremendous challenge at your next step. Your work will be competing for the attention of agents, publishers, and readers against a pool of talented authors and limited publishing opportunities. For the self-publisher, there’s the challenge of connecting with an audience beyond your immediate circle of friends and supporters. For the traditionalist, the difficulty lies in convincing professionals with deep constraints to take a chance on a new author. [Read more…]
Quick Guide to Marketing for Freelance Writers
As with most professions, freelance writing takes skill, but the main difference between success and failure is how you sell yourself. There are many people who can do what you do. Unless you have built a brand of your own, based on a unique perspective or skill set, there are probably thousands of people in the world who can do your job with as much or more skill. The difference is marketing and communication, both of which can distinguish you from others in your industry, if you know what to do. [Read more…]
Email Marketing – Should You Bother?
Email marketing is a means of getting in touch with customers directly via – you got it – email. It’s usually associated with businesses that sell products and want to push these not only to existing customers but also to its target market in general.
What does email marketing have to do with you, a freelance writer? [Read more…]
Being a 21st Century Writer
If there’s one thing lacking in the publishing and journalism industries these days, it’s certainty. The world of writing and publishing is changing day-by-day, and no longer can you be a successful writer — whether your craft is journalism or novel writing, whether you’re writing for print or digital — merely by virtue of being talented. There are entirely new skill sets required for the modern successful writer, and whatever kind of writer you are, you’re going to find that these skills are a must.
You want to be a 21st Century writer? Here are three hats you must wear in addition to being a strong writer. [Read more…]
Getting More Work from Your Existing Clients
You get the client. That’s good. You do the work. That’s good, too. The client pays you. Even better.
Now, it’s on to the next gig! That’s bad.
Well, it’s not really bad to move on to another gig. It’s just bad to look at assignments as one-off opportunities.
Most of the freelancers I know don’t make that mistake. They follow up with previous clients. They make calls or send emails, trying to scare up a little more work. They do a decent job of reminding the client to get in touch the next time he or she needs something.
That approach will create return customers and it’s something every freelancer should be doing. In fact, writers should have an organized system to maintain regular contact with past customers. [Read more…]
Freelance Writing Jobs: Frequently Asked Questions
At Freelance Writing Jobs we strive to provide you with the best information possible about starting your freelance writing career. With so many posts offering tips and advice, it can be hard to find useful information that’s not on the front page of this blog. Since we receive a lot of email asking for tips on getting started as a freelance writer, how to set rates and more, I thought it was time for a static “Frequently Asked Questions” page. If you’re starting out as a writer, or just want a refresher course, use this handy list as a one stop shopping experience for all things freelance writing.
Warning: Work in progress. This list is by no means complete and will receive periodic updates, so do check back often.
Freelance Writing Jobs: Frequently Asked Questions
For daily freelance writing job leads, please see Freelance Writing Jobs for Web and Print and don’t miss our regular Monday Markets feature.
How to Find Freelance Writing Jobs
- How to Land Your First Freelance Writing Job
- 43 Places to Find Freelance Writing Jobs
- 30 Types of Freelance Writing Jobs and How to Get Them
- Web Content Sites: What They’re Saying, What’s True and What’s False
- Corporate Freelance Writing Jobs: Five Places to Find Them
- How to Find the High Paying Freelance Writing Jobs
- How to Use Discussion Forums for Writers to Find Freelance Writing Jobs
- 47 Places to Find Telecommuting Jobs
- 10 Ways to Get Your Freelance Writing Foot in the Door
- 50 Places that Hire Freelance Writers
- 10 Best Job Search Sites
- 30 Types of Freelance Writing Jobs and How to Get Them
- Freelance Writing: Before You Get Started – Research!
- 5 Ways to Find Freelance Writing Jobs Using Twitter
- Why You Should Consider Cold Calling to Find Work
- Top 10 Freelance Writing Job Red Flags
- Finding the Freelance Writing Jobs that Are Best for You
- Pitch to the Hidden Places that Hire Freelance Writers
Freelance Writing Rates
Not sure how much to charge? Check out the freelance rate calculator over at Freelance Switch.
- Where the Writing Money Is
- Set a Freelance Writing Rate Equal to the Task
- How to Turn a Low Paying Client into a High Paying Client
- Who Sets Your Freelance Writing Rates?
- Preparing Yourself for Better Freelance Writing Rates
- Figuring Out a Good Pay Rate for Writing
- Taking Baby Steps for a Better Pay Rate for Writing
- Should You Include a Rate Quote with Your Cover Letter
- What Does it Mean to Work Smarter Not Harder?
- Why You Shouldn’t Ask for a Raise
- On Rates and New Clients: Does it Ever Make Sense to Make a Starting Rate?
- How to Land Repeat Clients that Pay Well
- 8 Reasons You’re Not Landing the High Paying Freelance Writing Jobs
- Kill Fees: Not a Halloween Tale
- 6 Tips for Asking for a Raise in Your Freelance Writing Rates
- 5 Things to Consider When Discussing Rates With Other Freelance Writers
- I’m a Professional – So Pay Me Already!!!8 Reasons You’re Not Getting the High Paying Freelance Writing Jobs
- 5 Tips for Moving Away from the Easy Gigs to Land More Lucrative Opportunities
- A Lower Bid Vs. Selling Yourself Short
- 5 Tips for Deciding if You Should Raise Your Rates
- Freelance Writing for Beginners: How to Set Your Rates
- Why Are Freelancers Negotiating Rates Anyway?
Cover Letters, Clips, Resumes, Job Applications and Query Letters
- Query Letter Writing: Dissecting a Successful Query Letter
- How I Landed My First Freelance Writing Job Without Clips
- 5 Things to Do Before You Query
- Freelance Writing Experience: Does it Matter Where Your Clips Come From?
- Query Letter Writing: Querying Out of the Box
- Top 10 Freelance Writing Job Application Mistakes
- 8 Types of Freelance Writing Pitches or Why You Didn’t Get the Job
- Rewarding Your Long Term Freelance Writing Clients for their Customer Loyalty
- What Lousy Customer Service Can Teach You About Good Customer Service
- What My Neighbor’s Teen Can Teach You About Customer Service
- Customer Appreciation Lessons from Barnes & Noble
Marketing and Networking
- Freelance Writing Marketing and Promotion: How Much is Too Much
- Do You Know What You’re Selling? Successfully Marketing Your Freelance Writing
- 5 Reasons Not to Have a Cookie Cutter Elevator Pitch
- 5 Tips for Creating an Elevator Speech
- 10 Unique Places to Market Your Book
- 5 Reasons Online Relationships Are Important for Freelance Writers
- 5 Reasons Offline Relationships Are Important for Freelance Writers
- How Much Would Your Freelance Writing Business Pick Up if You Got Out from Behind Your Laptop?
- 10 Reasons Why Face to Face Networking is Important for Freelance Writers
- Introducing Yourself as a Freelance Writer Without Sounding Like a Smarmy Salesman
- The Freelance Writers Guide to Blogs and Blogging
- The Freelance Writer’s Guide to Twitter
- The Freelance Writer’s Guide to Facebook
Tools and Resources
- Understanding Freelance Writing Rights and Usage
- 31 Free Online Writing Courses
- 20 Places to Find Online Courses for Writers
- 45 Free Things for Writers
- Where to Find Free WiFi Hotspots Around the World
- 49 Free Online Reference Tools for Freelance Writers
Freelance Writing Markets
- 75 “Write for Us” Pages
- 40 Freelance Writing Markets Paying $100 or More
- 40 More Freelance Writing Markets Paying $100 or More
- 50 Submissions Guidelines Pages
- 11 Cooking, Food and Drink Markets
- 19 Parenting Markets
- 21 Poetry Markets
- 15 Greeting Card Markets
- 11 Environmental Markets
- 15 Places for Freelance Writers to Find Magazine Markets
- 6 Tips for Finding New Freelance Writing Markets
Freelance Writing Taxes
- Tax Tips for UK Freelancers
- What Every Freelancer Needs to Know About Taxes
- How to Solve Freelance Tax Problems
- When a Writer Needs to Hire a CPA
- Easy to Forget Income Tax Deductions
- Introduction to Quarterly Taxes
- 3 Ways to Reduce Your Freelance Writing Taxes and Help Yourself
- Tax Tips for Freelance Writers
- 20 Tax Deductions for Freelancers
- Year End Tax Tips for Freelance Writing Businesses
- When Your Freelance Writing Business Gets Audited
Freelance Writing Clients and Business Tips
- Should You Trust Your Freelance Writing Clients With Your Personal Information?
- Client Vs. Employer: There’s a Difference
- 3 Hints for Giving Value with Your Freelance Writing
- 5 Options for Avoiding Paypal Fees and Keeping all Your Freelance Writing Pay
- 3 Things to Consider Before Outsourcing Your Freelance Writing Work
- 5 Rocking Good Business Practices for Freelance Writers
- 5 Tips for Asking a Freelance Writing Client for More Work
- 5 Reasons Freelance Writers Should Keep Regular Business Hours
- 5 Reasons Not to Burn Your Bridges
- 10 Tips for Setting Up an Office
- 10 Hints from Transitioning from Freelance Writing to a Freelance Writing Business
- Identifying the Reasons Your Freelance Writing Business Isn’t Growing
- 10 Hints for Transitioning from Freelance Writing Job to Freelance Writing Business
- Freelance Writing Clients: The Difference Between Friends and Friendly
- 6 Tips for Receiving Feedback from Your Freelance Writing Clients
Other Freelance Writing Topics
- 40 Lessons Learned in 10 Years of Freelance Wriitng
- The A, B, C’s of Freelance Writing
- 7 Great Places to find Interview Subjects
- 19 Grants for Writers and Other Creative Types
- Technical Writing: What’s it Like?
- Freelance Writing Opportunities in SEO Content
- Freelance Writing COmmunities: 10 Questions to Ask Before You Join
- Contracting for Writers 101
- How to Find Interview Subjects for Your Blog Posts and Articles
- 4 Measures to Put in Place So Your Freelance Writing Clients Won’t Rip You Off
- The Dark Side of Freelance Writer: When Clients Don’t Pay5 Forms of Passive Income for Freelance Writers